Re: st: Non-parametric test equivalents with survey-weighted data

From   Ronan Conroy <rconroy@rcsi.ie>
Subject   Re: st: Non-parametric test equivalents with survey-weighted data
Date   Fri, 5 Aug 2011 17:24:40 +0100

On 2011 Lún 5, at 17:00, Janet Rosenbaum wrote:

> Frequently I use kwallis, ranksum, or nptrend for testing between
> groups, depending on the nature of the variables involved.  Stata
> doen't support these tests in survey-weighted data.
>
> Are there any equivalent tests to use when comparing weighted data?
> Survey-weighted data can use Pearson's chi-square or Wald, but my
> understanding is that neither is equivalent.

My feeling is that these excellent old tests lose a lot of information about the effect size. "There is a significant difference" or "a significant trend" always makes me wonder what the difference/trend actually was, and was it significant in real-life terms.

You might want to look at ordered logistic regression, logistic regression etc for ways of producing measures of effect. These are all possible with survey data.

Ronán Conroy
rconroy@rcsi.ie
Associate Professor
Division of Population Health Sciences