Re: st: Question about graph bar

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Question about graph bar
Date   Wed, 3 Aug 2011 17:36:34 -0400

Rachel, you will find graphing easier if you spell our favorite program's name correctly. It is "Stata" (see the last section of the FAQ).  In  the programs SAS, SPSS, and  SUDAAN, the letters in the name originally stood for other words (e.g. SAS = "Statistical Analysis System"); in other words, they are acronyms.  That's not true of Stata, so its name should not be capitalized.

Steve

On Aug 3, 2011, at 5:19 PM, O'Brien, Rachel H wrote:

Thanks for the help!  I have always used Excel for graphs in the past, so graphing in STATA is very foreign to me.

Rachel

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Alan Neustadtl
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:06 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Question about graph bar

Here is a way to create a variable that you can graph -over- and then
use the sort suboption.  Compare the two bar graphs created by the
fopllowing code:

/* Create small dataset */
clear *
set obs 100
generate x3=10+int((20-10+1)*runiform())
generate x1=30+int((40-30+1)*runiform())
generate x2=70+int((90-70+1)*runiform())

/* Use stack to create an "over" variable & graph */
preserve
 stack x1 x2 x3, into(x) clear
 graph bar x, over(_stack) name(g1, replace)
 graph bar x, over(_stack, sort(1)) name(g2, replace)
restore

Best,
Alan