st: xtline charts for large panel set

From   Tanuku AP <>
To   Stata <>
Subject   st: xtline charts for large panel set
Date   Wed, 3 Aug 2011 15:42:54 -0400

Hello all,

I have a data set with roughly 3000 units.   The panel ids are not consecutively numbered.  I'd like to draw --xtline-- charts (w/out overlay) with roughly 20 charts in one frame.

If the panel ids were consecutive I could have used a loop with something like so:

xtline pvar if panelid > `x' & panelid < `x'+ 20    (PSEUDOCODE)
where x is the loop variable

(1) How can I draw --xtline-- charts for the 3000 units with 20 units at a time
(2) Is there a way to generate another variable that assigns consecutive numbers to panel ids