Re: st: Creating new variables from a STATA panel dataset

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
Subject   Re: st: Creating new variables from a STATA panel dataset
Date   Wed, 3 Aug 2011 18:10:41 +0100

* cannot be part of a variable name.

Nick

On 3 Aug 2011, at 17:14, Lucio Vinhas de Souza <lvdesouza@yahoo.com> wrote:

Dear All,

Very basic question, for someone that has not used STATA for several years now: I have a panel dataset (adequately tis t and iis id) of several hundred variables, and I want to:

a)    Generate new variables
b)    Run a xtbond from those new variables

I have been trying to generate new variables which are change rates form the existing ones. The names of the existing variables are all variations from the format “countrycode_extension”. I have been trying to

gen “*_extension_new”= ((“*_extension”-“*_extension_new”[_n-1])/ “*_extension_new”[_n-1])

and always get the message

*invalid name