st: handling "special characters" with tabout

From   Teresio Poggio <terlist@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: handling "special characters" with tabout
Date   Mon, 1 Aug 2011 22:16:40 +0200

Working with  Stata IC 11.2 on MacOS 10.6.8

Dear all,

I'm taking advantage of the really valuable TABOUT (Version 2.0.5,
31may2011 - thanks to Ian Watson ! ) in order to export several tables
from stata to csv files.

I'm currently working with both Italian and German languages/labels
and I'd need to use the special characters (vowels with various
accents) in these languages.
While I can handle it within the Stata output, I'm not able to handle
it with tabout.

In the Stata output I can get "Età" (Eta' , just in case gmail wont
not work with accents..)
In the tabout output I can only get "Et." with a dot (or other special
characters for other accents).

An example:
sysuse auto, clear
lab var foreign "Età" // (Eta', just in case the "accented a" wont
appear to you)
tab foreign // here it works
tabout foreign using test.csv, oneway style(semi) debug replace /*
here I get "Et." with a dot instead of the accented a (or other not
pertinent special characters for other accents) */

To what I have understood from the documentation on <label language>,
Stata set the correct character coding according to the selected
language.
Is there any way to set the appropriate coding with tabout? Or is
there any workarounds for this problem?

Any help would be appreciated.
Best regards,

Teresio

--
dr. Teresio Poggio
LaboR - Dipartimento di Sociologia e ricerca sociale