st: Binning question

From   mcross@exemail.com.au
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Binning question
Date   Sun, 31 Jul 2011 07:14:30 +1000

(Stata version 8)

Statalisters,

I?m collecting various size measurements from multiple samples?

Smpl   Size
01   39.38
01   45.26
01   48.81
02   39.27
02   45.28
02   48.94

Size is normally distributed and the variance is small. I want to bin my
sizes into categories (eg ?39?, ?45? and ?49?), for further analysis. I?d
like to define the range for each category by using the SD of each set of
size observations - eg the SD of (39.38 and 39.27).

Hopefully someone might suggest a practical way to achieve this.

Cheers,

Mike.