Re: st: RE: Correct Way to Respond to Posts when Email is Turned Off

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Correct Way to Respond to Posts when Email is Turned Off
Date   Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:45:26 -0500

At 08:32 AM 7/29/2011, Nick Cox wrote:
But a small issue certainly arises for digest subscribers who wish to reply to a particular posting, and the only method that they can, or more precisely should, use is to copy and paste from a digest post and/or archived post and send a new mail using that material under the same title.

Whether the archiving software, and/or various mailers, then gets the threading right is not something that bothers most people very much. Short of converting ourselves to a web forum, there is not much that can be done about it. Abolishing the digest is not something I would think of floating, as digest subscribers outnumber regular subscribers.

Incidentally, I think correct threading is very useful. It makes it much easier if, say, you are trying to track down the answer to something that was already asked years ago. I like it when I can find the question and then follow the thread through. Otherwise I may have to do a bunch of googling to find all the relevant posts.

I might also be happier with a web forum, but overall Statalist meets my needs very well.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu