Re: st: Completely new version of -outreg-

From   John Luke Gallup <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Completely new version of -outreg-
Date   Thu, 28 Jul 2011 14:51:31 -0700

Lucas,

On your points below:

1) It is a good suggestion to change the table to which estimation output is merged according to the -using- name.  I'll have to think about exactly how to implement this, because there are times where users may wants to send the same output to different tables.  These is no logical connection between the tables created by the new version of -outreg- (which are held in Mata matrices) and the -using- name.

As you note, it is possible to do what you want right now, but perhaps not in the most intuitive way.

2) You and Eric Booth both found a bug, which I just corrected and submitted to SSC for an update.

3) There is a way to take estimation output from others and format it using -outreg-.  You can save the estimation results with the -estimates save <filename>- command and then load it on another computer with -estimates use <filename>-, after which you can use -outreg-.

I currently have no option for saving the Mata matrix holding an -outreg- table that could be loaded by someone else.  It would not be too difficult to implement, but I am not sure there is much demand for it.

4) I don't have plans to produce Excel or dta output from -outreg-, although I would be willing to collaborate with someone else on this.  My feeling is that if one has sufficient control of word processor tables (Word or LaTeX), then manipulating tables in Excel is not necessary.

I have never been involved in -outreg2- except for sharing an earlier version of the -outreg- code with Roy Wada, the -outreg2- maintainer.  Any code in -outreg2- would have to be completely rewritten for use in the current version of -outreg-.

John