Re: st: Stata listserv as RRS feed?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata listserv as RRS feed?
Date   Thu, 28 Jul 2011 14:19:25 +0100

In principle, you can already do this through Nabble.

By the way, my policy as Statalist FAQ maintainer is not to document
what people do downstream of Statalist, for two reasons:

1. We are not responsible for what is done downstream of us, any more
than we are responsible for members forwarding Statalist postings to
others.

2. It has proved wasted effort in the past. The most extensive
archive, maintained by a Portuguese user and including all Statalist
postings from the beginning, just disappeared. Yahoo echoed Statalist
for some years and then just stopped doing it. Various attempts to set
up RSS feeds of Statalist have mostly run into difficulty within a few
months. In each case the sites did not maintain coverage of Statalist.
I've no idea what the problems were.

Even in the case of Nabble, what you can see there _now_  is not a
complete archive. Perhaps what you see is restricted to threads
started by people posting via Nabble. (When Nabble started covering
Statalist I think its coverage was complete.) Neil Shephard may be
able to comment further.

Regardless of RSS feed, I've found that gmail, which is free, does a
fair job of grouping postings by threads, although as a Statalist
member pointed out privately, certainly not a perfect one.

Note also that several web forums, such as Stack overflow, allow Stata
questions.

There was even a suggestion that Statalist be abolished in favour of
Stack overflow

http://www.econjobrumorsarchive.com/topic.php?id=14865

Long-time followers of this list may like to work out which of the
anonymous contributions to that thread came from me.

Nick