RE: st: Cox regression- non linear trends

From   "Duggan, Catherine R" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Cox regression- non linear trends
Date   Tue, 26 Jul 2011 10:45:52 -0700

Many thanks Steve!

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Steven
Samuels
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:46 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Cox regression- non linear trends

Catherine,

-fracpoly-

Steve
[email protected]

On Jul 25, 2011, at 9:27 PM, Duggan, Catherine R wrote:

Hello

I have a Cox model  examining Variable A  and it's inhibitor  Var B.

Var. A seems to exhibit a non-linear trend when I examined the tertiles
using a fully adjusted model, with mortality as an endpoint.  The P.H.
assumption was met.

1.00  ref
0.48 (95% CI 0.18-1.27)
0.97 (95% CI 0.35 - 2.67)

(Though Var B was linear).

Because of this, I thought that I should present just the categorical
variable in the model. However my experience has been that reviewers
always want to see both continuous and categorical variables presented,
especially as I will present  Var B both ways.

Can anyone give me some advice please on how to handle non-linear
continuous variables in Cox models?

Many thanks

Catherine