st: RE: Error in ivreg2 and ivregress

Subject   st: RE: Error in ivreg2 and ivregress
Date   Fri, 22 Jul 2011 23:11:56 +0100

Benjamin,

A few suggestions/thoughts:

1.  Tell us which versions of -ivreg2- and -ranktest- you have
installed.  (Use the -which- command.)  You may not have the most
up-to-date versions (they should be 3.0.06 and 1.2.03, respectively).

2.  When you say

> In both cases there is a repeated instrument on the exogenous
> instruments list, i.e. z2=z3 in the above example

I don't understand what you mean.  If z2 and z3 are identical, then it
makes no sense to include them both since they are perfectly collinear.
But -ivreg2- (and, I think -ivregress-) should catch this and drop one
of them.

3.  LIML and 2SLS are very closely related.  If this is a data-driven
problem, it will probably be apparent in the 2SLS output.  Also, the
collinearity in (2) should be reported in the -ivreg2- 2SLS output.  You
can share this output with us if you want.

4.  If it's data related, you might be able to address it by
partialling-out some of the regressors using the -partial- option.

HTH,
Mark

registered under charity number SC000278.