st: How do I interpret random coefficient parameters (SD) using xtmixed

From   Zachary Zimmer <[email protected]>
Subject   st: How do I interpret random coefficient parameters (SD) using xtmixed
Date   Sat, 16 Jul 2011 14:06:01 -0600

I am running random coefficient models using xtmixed assuming there are different intercepts and slopes for variables across different countries.

For instance, using the STATA command:
. xtmixed w_dur livsit1 || country: livsit1, mle
the intercept and slope of livsit1 when estimating the dependent variable w_dur for is allowed to vary across county.

The Random-effects Parameters are:

sd(livsit1) = 3.346
sd(_cons) = 1.889
sd(Residual) = 28.601

Can someone tell me how specifically to interpret these parameters?  What does the 3.346 mean?  Etc.

Thanks for any help.

Zachary Zimmer
Professor, Department of Sociology
Senior Scholar, Institute of Public and International Affairs
University of Utah