st: sd() does not work with forvalues

From   Wilhelm Kluemper <>
Subject   st: sd() does not work with forvalues
Date   Fri, 15 Jul 2011 19:20:42 +0200

Hello STATA community,

I am trying out a code where I want to create the standard deviation
of a var as a new var with a loop:

forvalues i = 3/85 {
egen df`i'med = median(_dfbeta_`i')
egen sddf`i'= sd(_dfbeta_`i')
gen diffmedi`i'=_dfbeta_`i'-df`i'med
gen absdiffmedi`i' = abs(diffmedi`i')
gen nosddff`i'= diffmedi`i'/sd(_dfbeta_`i')
drop if nosddff`i'>=2

I keep getting this message:

unknown function sd()

It works perfectly without the forvalues loop but not within. Does
anybody have a clue why that is and what I could do about it?

Thanks already

Wilhelm Klümper
University of Göttingen