Re: st: RD Optimal Bandwidth Algorithm sensitive to scaling?

Subject   Re: st: RD Optimal Bandwidth Algorithm sensitive to scaling?
Date   Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:22:54 -0400

Chris--
I agree it is an undesirable "feature" of the optimal bandwidth
calculation, but some problem of this sort is probably unavoidable--in
this case it arises from estimating local curvature using squared
deviations of the outcome, which is evidently sensitive to scale.
There are alternative approaches which would not face this exact
problem, but there would almost surely be other problems, or other
ways of breaking the estimator.  The sensitivity of bandwidth to scale
is particularly undesirable, but also serves to illustrate what I have
said elsewhere: bandwidth selection is more art than science, and at a
minimum you should assess the sensitivity of your estimates to
bandwidth, which is why graphs for multiple bandwidths are produced by
default in -rd-, and there is an option -bdep- to assess the
dependence graphically.