Re: Subject: Re: st: Survival function of regression Cox model postestimation

From   "Airey, David C" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: Subject: Re: st: Survival function of regression Cox model postestimation
Date   Thu, 14 Jul 2011 12:15:30 -0500

.

I more or less found my answer in Vittenghoff's et al.'s text
(Regression Methods in Biostatistics).

They say, on page 216,

"If the hazard ratio obeys the proportional hazards assumption,
and thus does not depend on time, we can write

log[HR(x)] = log(h(t|x)/ho(t)) = B1x1 + ... + Bpxp.

h(t|x) is the hazard at time t for an observation with covariate value x, ho(t)
is the baseline hazard function, defined as the hazard at time t for observations
with all predictors equal to zero. As with the intercept in linear and
logistic regression, this may mean that the baseline hazard does not apply to any
possible observation, and argues for centering continuous predictors."

Just below they say, after taking the log, they say, "the equation

log[h(t|x)] = log[ho(t)] + B1x1 + ... + Bpxp,

shows that the log baseline hazard plays the role of the intercept [as] in other
regression models, though in this case it can change over time. Furthermore, this
define a log-linear model, which implies the at the log of the hazard is
assumed to change linearly with any continuous predictors".

-Dave