Re: st: Is a simple dummy imputation a valid procedure?

From   Andrea Bennett <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Is a simple dummy imputation a valid procedure?
Date   Tue, 12 Jul 2011 14:55:48 +0200

Thank you both for your great suggestions! To clarify: Will this mean that I also cannot use a dummy for people who answer "don't know"? E.g. asking somebody about the educational background of his parents is difficult for a student. We therefore added a "don't know" field. I thought in this case it is quite ok to add each of the categories individually to the regression (e.g. no_education high_school university dont_know).

It could be made the case that this is too a case of imputation because we have no idea what reason caused a student to check the "don't know" box. He just might not want to tell and goes for the best outside option, he really might not know it, or he is feeling ashamed.

But I've just ordered Allison's book and hope it will give me a better feeling for the data.

Best regards!

Andrea