Re: st: providing raw weights for multivariate meta-analysis

From   Nick Darson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: providing raw weights for multivariate meta-analysis
Date   Tue, 12 Jul 2011 05:09:43 +1000

Scott and Paul, thanks a lot for your comments.

Mvmeta is a very interesting program - however, my issue is that I
want to account for several dependencies (not only several outcome
measures or effect sizes that stem from the same observation).
Typically, to model the multivariate outcomes, the first level
consists of the outcome measures and
the second level of the cases. For my project, I need to add one or
two more levels due to further dependencies (to be precise, my
observations are partly based on the same control condition  and I
also have several observations from the same studies). This would make
up a three-four level model.

HLM is very convenient for such a multilevel meta-analysis approach-
but it allows to model three levels only (HLM7, which was released
recently, has a four level module, but it is not possible to provide
precision weights to the first level of the four level module yet).

Therefore, I was wondering whether I could use the same technique in
Stata (to have a four level meta-regression model). Two points are
relevant:
1.) Providing raw weights (non-normalized) to the first level.
This appears to be feasible when using GLLAMM and for xtmixed in Stata
12 (to my understanding, pweights should work - it provides the
inverse of a variable such that smaller values count more: e.g. 0.1
becomes a weight of 10, 0.5 a weight of 2. This would correspond to
the objective in a meta-analysis when I provide the sampling variance
as weights: studies with a smaller variance/ SE count more).
2.) Constraining the lowest level variance to 1.
This seems to be the critical problem. Xtmixed allows to specify the
residuals of the lowest level to a certain degree (independent,
exchangeable, etc)- but it does not allow specifying exact values,
such as a variance of 1 ("independent" still assumes one equal
variance parameter, please correct me if I am wrong on this).
Gllamm seems to be more flexible as it can use the option
"constraint". However, this appears to be very complex and
inconvenient for the model I would need (maybe for someone else not,
but I must admit I reach the limits of my modeling skills here  - I
just started using Stata 4 months ago).
For example, this seems to be the Gllamm code for a bivariate model:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-08/msg01415.html .

Would have been great to implement more flexibility in the variance
structure of level 1 of xtmixed (maybe in a future version?).