Re: st: RE: 'nonest' option in 'xtreg'

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
Subject   Re: st: RE: 'nonest' option in 'xtreg'
Date   Fri, 8 Jul 2011 14:46:00 +0100

Good find. Where is it documented?

Nick

On 8 Jul 2011, at 13:26, Austin Nichols <austinnichols@gmail.com> wrote:

Nick--

From -help whatsnew9-:
--update 15sep2005--
(30)B.  xtreg, fe and xtreg, re produced cluster-robust VCEs when the
panels were not nested within the clusters.  In some cases this VCE is
consistent, and in others it is not.  You must now specify the new
nonest option to get a cluster-robust VCE when the panels are not
nested within the clusters.

Without a detailed description of the data and the assumed correct dgp
from the original poster, it will be hard for anyone to comment
usefully  on the estimation problem.

It strikes me as strange to model RE in one dimension and clustering
of errors in another; two-dimensional clustering or a multilevel model
seems a more natural starting point.