Re: st: In this particular case: should I prefer clustering or a random-effects model

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: In this particular case: should I prefer clustering or a random-effects model
Date   Thu, 7 Jul 2011 22:23:39 -0500

Andrea Bennet

"But just from a theoretical point of view, I thought that a random effects model would be preferred because then I would treat the effects of "classID" as a random sample of the effects of all the classes in the full population."

There is no theoretical justification for your preference, which is apparently based on the coincidence that "random" appears in the term "random effects" and "random sampling".  "Random effects" are assumed to be generated from a  parametric distribution (e.g. Gaussian). "Random samples" arise from a designed sampling process.  There is no theoretical relation between the two.

Steve

Steven J. Samuels
Consultant in Statistics
18 Cantine's Island
Saugerties, NY 12477 USA
Voice: 845-246-0774
Fax:   206-202-4783
[email protected]

Thanks for the link and your help!

I indeed do have a cluster-randomized design (treatment intervention was on the class level).

But just from a theoretical point of view, I thought that a random effects model would be preferred because then I would treat the effects of "classID" as a random sample of the effects of all the classes in the full population.

Best regards!

Andrea