Re: st: recognizing patterns within two columns of data

From   SUBRATA BHATTACHARYYA <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: recognizing patterns within two columns of data
Date   Thu, 7 Jul 2011 23:23:04 +0530

Hi Nick,

Thanks for pointing out the much bigger problem! It was my bad that I
missed -levelsof-. I made few changes to the code which I sent earlier
and I think all the problems are taken care of. The way I understood
Dalhia's problem was that Dalhia wanted to get multiple company's name
together which are linked by multiple common owners. I think, Dahlia
will be the best person to judge if we have understood his problem
correctly. Nonetheless, here is the new code:

split comp_hold
ren comp_hold1 company
ren comp_hold2 holder
sort company holder
gen hold_list=""
gen comp_list=""
levelsof company, local(temp1)
foreach x of local temp1{
	levelsof holder if company=="`x'", local(temp2)
	foreach y of local temp2{
		local temp3 "`temp3'"+" "+"`y'"
	}
	replace hold_list="`temp3'" if company=="`x'"
	local temp3=""
}

egen group_hold=group(hold_list)
su group_hold, meanonly
forval i = 1/`r(max)'{
	levelsof company if group_hold==`i', local(temp4)
	foreach j of local temp4{
		local temp5 "`temp5'"+" "+"`j'"
	}
	replace comp_list="`temp5'" if group_hold==`i'
	local temp5=""
}

duplicates drop hold_list, force
list hold_list comp_list

I would be very glad in case you can further suggest on how to
optimize it. My motivations are purely educational and I am sure many
members in this list would immensely benefit of your valuable
suggestions!

Regards,
Subrata Bhattacharyya