Re: st: sample selection (-gsample) in stata

From   Stas Kolenikov <>
Subject   Re: st: sample selection (-gsample) in stata
Date   Wed, 6 Jul 2011 14:30:20 -0500

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Shikha Sinha <> wrote:
> -gsample looks good, but I am still struggling. How do I calculate the
> size for -gsample. I want the select companies from each cities and of
> each type in each city.

-gsample- will only produce appropriate PPS samples if you specify
sampling with replacement (which is the approximation you would have
to make at the analysis stage, anyway). PPS sampling without
replacement is far more complicated, and if the phrase "Rao-Sampford
algorithm" does not ring a bell, you will end up with wrong sampling

Stas Kolenikov, also found at