Re: st: record a set of values when conditions are satisfied.

Subject   Re: st: record a set of values when conditions are satisfied.
Date   Mon, 4 Jul 2011 11:08:45 -0400

Zhi Su <[email protected]>:
This is an ill-posed problem.  You don't say whether each coef  b1,
b2, b3, b4 is supposed to be just insignificant, at what level, or
whether a joint test of significance is the criterion. You don't say
anything about the distribution of the variables, or how the VCE is
calculated, all of which could influence your solution.  Further, in a
multi-dimensional setting like this, there could be many solutions,
and the direction you approach from could easily determine which
solution you find.

E.g. suppose v's are all Y plus negligible error so that any r
approaching 1 drives variation in Y to zero; then any r approaching 1
is a solution, but so is any sum of r's approaching one.  There will
be various linear combinations of r that " just make b1, b2,