st: RE: Using macros and batch running.

From   "Jesper Lindhardsen" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Using macros and batch running.
Date   Sun, 3 Jul 2011 22:17:18 +0200

Hi Adrian

Perhaps use -do- instead of -include-, as you can specify arguments with the -do- command (see -help do-)

BW Jesper

-----Original Message-----
From: on behalf of Adrian Sayers
Sent: Sat 02/07/2011 12:21
Subject: st: Using macros and batch running.
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can offer some advice?

I am trying to run some simulations, and splitting them up into pieces and
using the batch mode might make things a lot quicker, especially if i am
using a cluster.

I am trying to do.

forvalues i = 1/2 {

winexec "\\myserverstata11\StataMP.exe" -e include

Where contains

clear all

set obs 10000

gen id = _n

gen var1 = `i'

save batch`i'.dta , replace

i seem to have trouble transferring the local macros in one activation of
stata to another activation.

I was hoping someone would know a workaround for this problem.

Many thanks in advance

Adrian Sayers
Medical Statistician
University of Bristol
School of Social and Community Medicine,
Canynge Hall
39 Whatley Road
United Kingdom