st: AW: Finding the Most Common Combinations

From   "Kaulisch, Marc" <kaulisch@forschungsinfo.de>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: AW: Finding the Most Common Combinations
Date   Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:19:35 +0200

It might be a total overkill but I would reshape the dataset in the long-format and would use the -sq- (from ssc) program to identify the sequences with the same elements. For example with the inbuild se-option (same elements).

Marc

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] Im Auftrag von Zach Levin
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 30. Juni 2011 18:51
An: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Betreff: st: Finding the Most Common Combinations

Hello,

I have a dataset where each observation is a person and there are 5 variables for each of their health insurance plans. That is, PLAN1-PLAN5 each take on a number corresponding to a type of health insurance plan. My question is how I would go about finding the most combination of plans since the order in which they are reported is completely arbitrary (that is, PLAN1 does not correspond to the "first" plan, just the first one they reported).

I am using Stata 11.

Thank you,
Zach Levin