Re: st: linear mixed models doubt in how to interpret the Coef

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: linear mixed models doubt in how to interpret the Coef
Date   Thu, 30 Jun 2011 17:03:52 +0200

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Luisa Soares-Miranda
<> wrote:
>  I am writing you because I am performing a longitudinal mix models
> analyses as the following
> xi: xtmixed sdnn i.year_of_visit  gender  age  smoke alcohol
> waistcinrcunfrence_std  pa_std  tasis_std   trg_std  glu_std hdl_std
> || id: i.year, covariance(identity)
> I have 3 years of data, my main doubt now is how can I interpret my
> Coefficient? If my results I have that the Coef of Glu is  -3.35 and
> the p is 0.001. Can I say that when I increase by one unit Glu sdnn
> decreases -3.35 ms over 3 years? So Glu is associated with a decrease
> in sdnn over time.

Close, but not quite. The interpretation is really the same as in a
regular regression: a one unit increase in glu_std leads to a 3.35
units decrease in sdnn. This is almost the same as what you said,
except that I excluded the the parts "over 3 years" and "over time".

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen