st: constrained linear least-squares problems without using ML

From   "ali hashemi" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: constrained linear least-squares problems without using ML
Date   Tue, 28 Jun 2011 21:51:37 -0400

Dear list members,

I would like to estimate an OLS model (y=b1*x1+b2*x2) with proportionate
coefficients which means considering the following constraints:

I tried to estimate this using ML (for more details: findit inequality

It works for some cases. Unfortunately, for many other cases it keeps giving

I'm told that ML is not the best option to estimate constrained linear
least-squares models. lsqlin in MATLAB and quadratic programming in R are
solutions that I have found in other packages. However, I'm not aware of any
alternative method in Stata? Does anyone have any idea how constrained
linear least-squares models can be estimated without using ML?

Your help is greatly appreciated.