Re: st: Overlapping averages

Subject   Re: st: Overlapping averages
Date   Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:02:50 -0400

Matthew Bombyk <[email protected]>:
You have missing data (hours of use of a personal medical device per
day) for the sample of people without intervals that overlap in
exactly the right way to uniquely identify a day's usage, but each
(interval or) day has a feasible range for (average) daily usage that
is consistent with the interval data--why not use -mi- or -ice-
(Royston 2004, 2007, etc.) to impute a feasible value for each day?
Are there cases where a single day's usage is identifiable, so that
you have a sense of the true distribution of daily usage conditional
on other variables?  What are you going to do with these average daily
values if you compute them as weighted means--are they going into a
daily panel data model?  In that case, you will understate variance by
imputing the mean, at the very least.  Whatever you decide to do, I
recommend doing a little simulation to see how your final model
performs on data you have constructed yourself (so you know the truth)
and then artificially censored to reproduce your data structure.

Royston P. 2004. Multiple imputation of missing values.  Stata Journal
4(3):227-241.
Royston P. 2007. Multiple imputation of missing values: further update
of ice, with an emphasis on interval censoring.  Stata Journal 7:
445-464.