st: Reshape message - nn values will be changed

From   Gordon Hughes <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Reshape message - nn values will be changed
Date   Mon, 27 Jun 2011 18:48:26 +0100

I have tracked down a brief interchange on Statalist in November 2006 of a message that is occasionally generated by -reshape- saying that "nn values will be changed; not changed". Alan Riley explained that the message was flagging changes in precision and that it might be suppressed. I still get it occasionally and then have to track down what is going on. In my experience it is generated when (a) the variables being reshaped - as in -reshape long x1 x2 x3- are a mixture of double and float, and (b) the type of variable x is not specified, so that by default it would be float but it needs to be recast as double not to lose precision.

Would it be possible and desirable either to suppress the message altogether or at least make it more informative.

Gordon Hughes