re: re: Re: st: binary mediation command

From   "Ariel Linden. DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: re: Re: st: binary mediation command
Date   Sat, 25 Jun 2011 13:26:19 -0700

Kristian does an excellent job of adding some important points to the
discussion of mediation analysis. A couple of follow-up items:

VanderWeele's marginal structural modeling approach is not currently
available in Stata (Steve Samuels and I have been noodling this around for
about a year, and we will hopefully write such a program before we're put
out to pasture).

One other interesting program that is in Stata and worthy of note is
-gformula-. There is an accompanying paper (found with the example data
provided with the program:
Daniel, R. M., De Stavola, B. L., and Cousens, S. N. 2010. gformula:
Estimating causal effects in the presence of time-varying confounding or
mediation using the g-computation formula. The Stata Journal (submitted))

This approach should address the very real issues that Kristian raised
earlier as threats to validity of mediation analysis and can handle them in
a somewhat different fashion than that of marginal structural models.

Ariel