Re: st: stata files in linux

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: stata files in linux
Date   Thu, 23 Jun 2011 09:20:53 +0100

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 5:18 AM, amir gahremanpour <> wrote:
> Hi statalisters,
> How I make Ubuntu 11.04 to use stata icon for .dta, .gph and .do files automatically? Every time I have to change the nonspecific file icons to stata icon manually.
> (stata 11 is installed in /usr/local directory)

That depends very much on which desktop environment you are using
within Ubuntu.  I believe the newer 11.04 uses a customised desktop of
their own devising (not GNOME/KDE/Xfce).

I don't use Ubuntu myself, so can't provide any insight, but a little
searching leads to these possible solutions of how to set file

Failing that try the Ubuntu Forums themselves, lots of helpful people there,

“Truth in science can be defined as the working hypothesis best suited
to open the way to the next better one.” - Konrad Lorenz

Email -
Website -
Photos -