Re: st: impute with draws from random distribution

From   D-Ta <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: impute with draws from random distribution
Date   Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:32:44 +0200

I see your argument. However, if you argue that programm participation has a random component, it should be valid to predict a hypothetical (counterfactual) starting date for non-participants (who could -potentially- well have participated). This kind of approach has been taken by other papers, such as (Wunsch & Lechner, 2008, Kyklos) or (Lechner & Wunsch, 2009, Journal of Labour Economics).

Otherwise, the start date cannot be used as a control variable in the matching approach. With your advice to generate dummies for missing values (and to control for those) you cant (by definition) reach common supported between the treated and the comparison group.