st: RE: HHI

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   st: RE: HHI
Date   Mon, 20 Jun 2011 16:43:15 +0100

By Hirshman I presume you mean Hirschman: see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_O._Hirschman

-ineq- from SSC can do this.

Even if it couldn't, this is at most two calls to -egen-, to get totals and then to get totals of proportions squared, i.e. (value / total)^2, with appropriate use of -by:-.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Salima Bouayad Agha

does anybody has any solution to compute an HHI (Hirshman-Herfindahl
Index) on panel data.
We had observation on a regional desagregated level (i) for 3
sectors(k), many years(t) and many countries (j) and we wanted to
compute this index at the contry level for each year.