st: nl estimation: Error #130 Expression too long

From   Eugene Bempong Nyantakyi <>
Subject   st: nl estimation: Error #130 Expression too long
Date   Sat, 18 Jun 2011 00:30:39 -0400

I am trying to estimate a nonlinear least square equation but I keep on getting this error  saying "Expression too long" Here is the equation I am trying to estimate

nl (lgexp = log(exp({w_hat = 0.1 }*(z_hat + eta_hat)) - 1) + 1*{xb: ln_distance border n_island n_landlock legalsystem_same common_lang colonial cu fta religion_same eta_hat dum*}) if commcode == 1 & eta_hat != ., vce(cluster pairid)  no constant

dum* is a wildcard for  316 fixed effects. I have two sets of fixed effects exporter fixed effects  : dumexporter1 + dumexporter2 + dumexporter3 + ... + dumexporter158 and importer fixed effects: dumimporter1 + dumimporter2 + dumimporter3 + … + dumimporter158. so I use dum* to include all of them in the linear part of the equation. However when I include the dummies with dum* I get the error code that expression is too long and when I exclude them I get some results but I need to include them in the model. Can anybody help me with the programming. I really need help on this.

Eugene Kwasi