Re: st: binary mediation command

From   Philip Ender <ender97@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: binary mediation command
Date   Wed, 15 Jun 2011 13:20:35 -0700

Pina Valle wrote:

>I am trying to test mediation with a dichotomous outcome, and I have looked around and found a command in >STATA called binary_mediation. However, there isn't really any indication in the notes I found on whether the >mediation is significant. Here is an example of my output along with the commands that I have used:

The documentation for -binary_mediation states:  This program does not
provide standard errors or statistical tests for coefficients.
Bootstrap standard errors and confidence intervals are recommended for
this purpose.

Using either the percentile or bias corrected confidence intervals,
whichever you prefer, intervals that contain zero are not significant
at the stated level while those that do not contain zero are
significant.  Traditional statistical tests are likely to lead to
biased p-values.  I think the confidence interval approach is safer.

Phil
--
Phil Ender
UCLA Statistical Consulting Group