st: longitudinal data

From   "Clyde Schechter" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: longitudinal data
Date   Mon, 13 Jun 2011 07:57:40 -0700

Much depends on details that you don't state in your post.  One thing that
can be said without further knowledge: your analysis will almost certainly
require you put your data in long form.  There just aren't a whole lot of
Stata analysis commands that work best with wide data.  See -help reshape-
for that.

I can't tell from your description what your outcome variable is.  Is it
the actual count of gametocytes, or is it the presence of any gametocytes
(i.e. count > 0)?  As you speak of prevalence in your post, I'm guessing
it's the latter.  If so, take a look at -xtlogit-.  If the former, have a
look at -xtpoisson- or -xtnbreg- for starters.

In any case, you also need to think about how to represent time in your
analysis.  What kind of trajectory of gametocyte counts (or histories of
presence/absence) need to be modeled: (logit-)linear in time, V-shaped,
upside-down V-shaped, U-shaped, more complicated, even arbitrary?  You
will need to look into splines perhaps (-help mkspline-), or for an
arbitrary time course represent time as a factor variable.

One more thing: my suggestions presume each subject is enrolled in only
one study arm.  If you have a crossover design, then there are further
complications and you may need to look at -xtmixed- or -xtmelogit- or
something like that.

Hope this helps get you started.

Clyde Schechter
Albert Einstein College of Medicine