Re: st: lpoly predict residuals

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: lpoly predict residuals
Date   Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:23:14 +0200

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Stefan Pichler wrote:
> I have trouble predicting the residuals after the lpoly command. I first run "lpoly y x" on my dataset and then use "predict" to get residuals. However, Stata returns "not sorted", which I don't understand.

Whether or not -predict- is allowed after a command can be seen by
looking at -help <command> postestimation- where <command> needs to be
replaced by whatever command you want to look at. There is no such
help file for -lpoly-. Another hint that this may be problematic is
that -predict- is for use after estimation commands, which leave
things behind in e(), while the helpfile for -lpoly- says it leaves
things behind in r(). These two things suggest to me that you cannot
use -predict- after -lpoly-.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie