Re: st: Problems reading in comma separated files

From   Ronan Conroy <rconroy@rcsi.ie>
Subject   Re: st: Problems reading in comma separated files
Date   Fri, 10 Jun 2011 15:39:03 +0100

On 2011 Meith 10, at 15:01, Orian Brook wrote:

> In Stata 10/SE using insheet, the file is correctly identified as having 20
> variables, but the column headings are not read, and if you browse the data
> it shows all cells as blank except the first, which reads “ÿþt”.

That's not ASCII, it's NASTII.

I have come across cases before where non-ASCII characters cause premature end to input. The most hideous is the NULL character which, as you might imagine, is utterly invisible under normal conditions.

At the very least, open the files and view invisibles.

If you have a text editor, you can simply convert the files to ASCII. BBEdit, which I use, has a command that replaces non-ASCII characters with ASCII ones.

Ronán Conroy
rconroy@rcsi.ie
Associate Professor
Division of Population Health Sciences