st: Merging based on dates

From   Orla Liston <listono@tcd.ie>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Merging based on dates
Date   Thu, 9 Jun 2011 11:01:17 -0700

Hi

I'm trying to merge two datasets. One of them has numerous
observations for each date, while the smaller dataset only has one
observation per date. Whilst the dates are mostly the same, there are
a few dates which are present in one dataset but not the other.

I'm trying to merge them based on the date, but having some trouble,
as they obviously don't match up 100%, and also the observations in
the smaller dataset will need to be replicated for each of the
observations for the dates in the main dataset!

I hope this makes sense? Basically I'm trying to match exchange rate
data (the smaller dataset) with travelling data (the larger dataset)!

Thanks in advance!

Orla