st: Select the last 4 numbers out of 8...

From   Ivy Shiue <ivy.shiue@ki.se>
Subject   st: Select the last 4 numbers out of 8...
Date   Thu, 9 Jun 2011 14:43:34 +0000

Does anyone know how to make a commend to only choose the last 4 numbers out of 8... for example, when we have birthdate of 8 numbers (yyyymmdd) and I only want the last 4 indicating the month and date (mmdd), how can I get it? Then do I use the same commend to extract the last 2 numbers (dd)? What if I only want the last 3rd and 4th number (mm)?

Thanks so much in advance! :-)
Ivy