Re: st: RE: How to create sum of variables by time and space

From   "Ahmedov, Zafarbek" <zafar_ahmed@neo.tamu.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: RE: How to create sum of variables by time and space
Date   Wed, 8 Jun 2011 12:58:27 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Nick,

I tried "total(.)" but it didn't work with "by varlist:". I used the following code:

. sort location year month
. by location year month: total(Tons Number_of_Barges)

Do you have another suggestion? Thanks.

Zafar

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Cox" <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
To: "statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu" <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:39:40 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: st: RE: How to create sum of variables by time and space

. help egen

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Ahmedov, Zafarbek

I'm using Stata 11. I have a data table with 5 variables (columns)and over 500,000 observations. Two of them are time (Year, Month) variables and one location (Location) variable. I am trying to get the sum of the other two variables (Tons, Number_of_Barges) by location and time.

I tried to sort the data and get the summary statistics, but it didn't produce the desired result. I typed the following codes:

sort location year month
by location year month: summarize(Tons Number_of_Barges)

The problem with this code is, it didn't give the totals. I would greatly appreciate if you can offer any help or advise.