st: RE: How to create sum of variables by time and space

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   st: RE: How to create sum of variables by time and space
Date   Wed, 8 Jun 2011 18:39:40 +0100

. help egen

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Ahmedov, Zafarbek

I'm using Stata 11. I have a data table with 5 variables (columns)and over 500,000 observations. Two of them are time (Year, Month) variables and one location (Location) variable. I am trying to get the sum of the other two variables (Tons, Number_of_Barges) by location and time.

I tried to sort the data and get the summary statistics, but it didn't produce the desired result. I typed the following codes:

sort location year month
by location year month: summarize(Tons Number_of_Barges)

The problem with this code is, it didn't give the totals. I would greatly appreciate if you can offer any help or advise.