Re: st: String Variable

From   Joerg Luedicke <>
Subject   Re: st: String Variable
Date   Wed, 8 Jun 2011 10:17:15 -0400

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 10:08 AM, yj <> wrote:
> Hello, I'm a new user of STATA.
> I would like to generate a new variable if a concatenated string variable
> contains the character I want.
> eg.
> observation            string variable
> 1                          ABC
> 2                          BC
> 3                          AC
> 4                          AFC
> 5                          A
> I would like to create a new variable for observations where the string
> variable contains the letter A (its position in the string variable is
> irrelevant).
If I understand this correctly, you want to indicate whether the
string contains at least one "A"? If this is true, have a look at
-help regexm-. In your case, you could probably type something like:

 gen v1=regexm(your_string_variable, "A")

Then, the new variable v1 contains the value 1 whenever "A" shows up
in your string variable, and the value 0 otherwise.