Re: st: Local Linear Regression for Regression Discontinuity Designs

Subject   Re: st: Local Linear Regression for Regression Discontinuity Designs
Date   Tue, 7 Jun 2011 10:38:50 -0400

Jen Zhen <[email protected]>:

Part of the question is easy; compare:

sysuse auto, clear
ren price y
gen x = length - 193
gen z = (x >= 0)
gen z_x = z*x
reg y z x z_x if x>=-10&x<=10
reg y z x z_x if x>-10&x<10
rd_obs y x, bw(10) kernel(rectangle) mbw(100)
rd_obs y x, bw(10) kernel(rectangle) mbw(100)

First, the rectangular kernel used by -lpoly- does not use the
endpoints of the interval.

Second, note that the first time through, Stata refuses to post the
results, but a second run does not choke on e(sample).  Not sure why
yet.

Third, -rd_obs- always reports the total number of obs in sample
(meeting -if- and -in- restrictions) in the returned e(N) since it is
designed to work with multiple bandwidths (meaning one could in theory
have ten or a hundred different N values for different reported
estimates).