RE: st: string question

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   RE: st: string question
Date   Tue, 7 Jun 2011 14:35:47 +0100

If -n- is the name of a scalar defined by

. scalar n = <whatever>

then it should be evaluated on the fly by something like

. local fivefrogs : di _dup(`= scalar(n)') "frog"

I think most experienced Stata programmers tend to use locals to hold something like that.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Thomas

Many thanks. I have one follow up question.

I would like to call a scalar in _dup()  like

. local fivefrogs : di _dup(`n') "frog"

For some reason this does not work. How can this be done?