RE: RE: st: Elimination of outliers

From   "Jeff" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: RE: st: Elimination of outliers
Date   Mon, 6 Jun 2011 08:42:57 -0700

"Outliers and influential observations should not routinely be deleted
or automatically down-weighted because they are not necessarily bad
observations.  On the contrary, if they are correct, they may be the
most informative points in the data.  For example, they may indicate
that the data did not come from a normal population or that the model is
not linear."  "Regression Analysis By Example", 3rd Edition, Chatterjee,
Hadi, Price.

Jeffrey B. Wolpin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Achmed Aldai
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2011 7:38 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: RE: st: Elimination of outliers

Hi Nick,

can you please tell me how to eliminate the top and bottom 2% of each
variable because in my regression so far I am not getting the proper
results and want to find out with this if this causes the problem.

Thank you!
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 15:17:32 +0100
> Von: Nick Cox <[email protected]>
> An: "\'[email protected]\'"
<[email protected]>
> Betreff: RE: st: Elimination of outliers

> 1. Transformation means using a transformed scale (e.g. logarithms)
for