st: longitudinal data

From   Tina Hernandez-Boussard <>
Subject   st: longitudinal data
Date   Sat, 4 Jun 2011 19:21:02 -0700

Hi All,

I have longitudinal data and I would like to flag a person as dead, =
although this information is only contained in their last observation

I have created a count of the number of observations for a unique id

by visit: gen time =3D _n

this is what I am trying, but I am not getting correct results:

by visit : gen dead =3D 1 if died =3D=3D 1

I would like to have the flag dead=3D1 for all the rows of data for this =
person, even though they do not die until _n =3D=3D 5

This is only capture the visit they died, and not all of their visits.

Any help???