Re: st: Using Multiple Imputation in a very large dataset

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Using Multiple Imputation in a very large dataset
Date   Fri, 3 Jun 2011 18:02:47 +0200

2011/6/3 Raquel Rangel de Meireles Guimarães:
> xi: mi impute reg capitalcultural = leitura sexo1 raca1 regiao1 qn4,
> add(1000)
>
> I got the following message error: insufficient disk space r(699)

Doing a 1000 imputations is probably overkill. The recommended number
of imputations used to be 5. This number has increased a bit, but 20
imputations should be more than enough for most applications. You can
have a 1000 imputations if you like (e.g. to check if my
recommendation worked for your problem...) if you use the flongsep
style for storing the resulting datasets. In that case these are
stored as separate datasets, and Stata won't have to keep them all at
once in memory. You can do so using the -mi set- command.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie