Re: st: panel data xtmixed vs xtreg

From   Joerg Luedicke <>
Subject   Re: st: panel data xtmixed vs xtreg
Date   Thu, 2 Jun 2011 07:55:31 -0400

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 12:34 AM, yuying shi <> wrote:
> Dear Statalist,
>      Currently I am using the xtmixed to analyze an unbalance panel data.=
>  Could any tell me what the difference between xtreg and xtmixed? I got dif=
> ferent result by the two commands.=20
> Thanks!

If you run a 2-level varying (aka random) intercept model (i.e.
without varying slopes) using -xtmixed-, you should get the same
results as with -xtreg-'s default re option. You need to post your
code and output (or relevant parts of it) in order to see what went
wrong in your case.