st: SMCL {stata args[:txt]}

From   "K D Nash" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: SMCL {stata args[:txt]}
Date   Wed, 1 Jun 2011 15:26:38 -0500

I have a stata program that lists identification (ID) numbers for individuals as output such as:

.list guys

    30382960
   112339480
   134302176
   138380064
   138405264
   140426064
   142468640
   148400608
   163325504
   181440336
   186361696

The user of this program wants to be able to click on an ID number which will then provide further information about the individual selected. The following is part of my program statements:

forvalues n=1/`k'{
loc vn=guys[`n']
dis _col(10)"{stata smcprog:`vn'}"
}

where `k' is a count of the number ID numbers listed and guys[`n'] is the ID of a guy in the dataset. This SMCL statement solves the problem of turning the list of ID numbers into "clickable links".

The problem I am having is the following. How do I get the program, smcprog.ado, to recognize 30382960 as the ID number that is clicked? When the user clicks an ID, I want the program smcprog.ado to go get a stata dataset that includes many ID numbers but then use only the data for the ID that was clicked to carry out other tasks.

Or, is there a better way to accomplish what I want to do. The listing of the ID output has to be clickable links