RE: st: RE: RE: RE: Writing the value of a variable in another variable in a selective way

From   "Mak, Timothy" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: RE: Writing the value of a variable in another variable in a selective way
Date   Wed, 1 Jun 2011 17:49:12 +0000

Or perhaps try this, if you've got your data in "long" format, i.e.:

id	period
1	1
1	2
.	.
.	.
1	60
2	1
2	2
.	.
.	.
20	60

sort id
gen originalsort = _n
* This gives you the original sort
sort partnerid
gen partnerid_sort = _n
sort id
* This basically makes a new id that goes from 1,2,3,4, etc... And supposing your partner doesn't change over the period...

forval i=1/`=c(N)' {
 	local partnersort = partnerid_sort[`i']
	replace partnerprofit = profit[`partnersort'] in `i'
}

* which is the same code as before

I haven't tried this out, so I don't know if it works, but I don't really understand Nick's code there, since it apparently only loops over 20 lines, which would be valid if it is in wide format, but the rest of the code doesn't seem to imply a wide format...

Like Nick said, if you actually provide what the data look like, it'd be easier to help.

Tim